Please join the San Francisco Arab Cultural and Community Center (ACCC), the Arab Resource and Organizing Center (AROC) and Alef B Multicultural Center for Children in our very first collaborative summer institute!What:
The Arab Youth Summer Leadership Institute aims to empower Arab youth from all backgrounds to become leaders, tackle social justice issues in their schools and communities, and build stronger bonds between all of our communities dispelling the stereotypes that work to create divisions and injustice amongst us.
When and Where:
Program Duration: Monday July 9th – Saturday July 14th **Saturday July 14th: Community BBQ event for participants, their families and the greater community!
Time: Summer day camp from 10:00am to 4:00pm
Monday & Tuesday: ACCC 2 Plaza Street, San Francisco, CA 94116
Wednesday: Participants meet at 24th St. BART Station and finish at AROC Thursday & Friday: AROC 522 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA 94110 ***For the duration of the program meals will be provided, and financial assistance for transportation is available to participants on a need basis. Please indicate on page 3 if you will need financial assistance.
Who Can Apply:
All Arab youth between the ages of 13 and 20 years old
- **Special focus to engage a diverse group representing both Arab Christian and Muslim young men and women coming from a diverse array of national backgrounds
- **Low-income and Arab immigrant youth are encouraged to apply
- **Maximum of 20 participants—space is limited.
Purpose of Youth Leadership Institute:
- The Institute will explore questions and intersections of identity—racial, religious, etc.—and representation while also equipping the youth with the tools and resources to challenge injustice and stereotypes by becoming strong youth leaders in our community
- The program includes film screenings, talking circles, creative writing and artistic workshops, organizing workshops, guest speakers and much more!
- Day trips to visit with other social justice youth groups and arts communities
- Produce a short video that will be distributed to middle and high schools across the Bay Area, as an educational resource for religious leaders and educators to teach on subjects related to Arabs, Islam, and/or religious pluralism
- Engage family and friends with your experience at the Institute!
Upon Completion, Each Participant Will Receive:
- Certificate of Participation for each participant
- Letter of recommendation from the ACCC, AROC, or Alefb for participants applying to Universities
- $100 stipend for each participant
- Community service hours (if applicable)
- Participants will be featured in a short educational video to be distributed amongst middle and high schools across the Bay Area, as an educational resource for religious leaders and educators (As by consent of participant)
- A rewarding, educational and fun experience unlike any other
- Tangible tools that will assist participants in assuming youth leadership roles in their school or community
- A great program to put on your resume for future employment or educational opportunities