The Arab Resource and Organizing Center was born in 2007, out of the San Francisco Chapter of the American Arab anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC-SF).
Founded in 1987, ADC-SF was active around the following principles:
- Build leadership among and empower the Arab Community in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Defend civil liberties and end racial profiling and hate crimes
- Oppose discrimination of all people
- Oppose all war and occupation
- Educate and organize about Arab issues here and abroad
- Commit to the establishment of an independent, democratic Palestinian state, with the right of return of all Palestinian refugees.
As such, ADC-SF was active for nearly 20 years, bringing voice to Arab issues and concerns in the Bay Area.
In 2007, the Collective of ADC-SF formally established the Arab Resource and Organizing Center, or AROC. This moved signaled a change in programmatic direction of the organization, to reflect our new member organizing, legal services, and youth leadership development work.
Since our founding in 2007, we have grown to a 50 person adult membership and a 40 person youth membership. Our memberships have engaged in work around immigrant and civil rights; against war, occupation, and racial profiling; and for civic engagement and representation of the Arab community.
Join with us as we continue to grow and strengthen our work for justice!