We are fortunate and excited to be able to hire for a half-time program coordinator for AYO’s work. Please help us find a good candidate for the following position by sharing this announcement.
Job Announcement — Arab Resource and Organizing Center
Position: AYO Program Coordinator
- App. Deadline extended to 3/15/2011
- Salary: $15-16/hour
- Position Hours: Part-time, 20 hours per week, some Sundays required, and some evenings.
- This is a temporary position until June 1, 2011
The AYO Program Coordinator will be responsible for outreach to schools and other areas, organizing and retention of youth members, running education reform campaign and research project, and presenting workshops. Coordinator will work with youth interns and organizers, as well as youth members. Program Coordinator will be supervised by Program Director.
AROC is a grassroots organization working to empower and organize our community towards justice and self-determination for all. AROC members build community power in the Bay Area by participating in leadership development, political education, and campaigns. AROC is a fiscally sponsored project of Tides Center.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Campaign coordination with assistance of Program Director
- Prepare for and facilitate AYO meetings on bi-weekly basis
- Outreach on a weekly basis to AYO members
- Outreach for AYO at schools and other locations
- Provide workshops on Arab topics
- Meet with teachers, students, and school board reps about Arab curriculum/studies
- Organize occasional events
- Manage social networking elements of organizing
- Fluent or conversant in both English and Arabic (preferred)
- Familiar with San Francisco and the Bay Area’s Arab communities and Arab youth communities
- Comfortable speaking in public and making cold-contact with individuals
- Works well in a team
- Basic computer skills
- Experience in community organizing and/or campaign work
- Walking up stairs, frequent travel around San Francisco, filing, typing, light lifting.
- Send resume and cover letter detailing experiences to lily(at)araborganizing.org
- Deadline for applications is 3/15/2011 (please submit as soon as possible, we will be interviewing candidates on a rolling basis)
- Applicants are welcome to call with questions. – 415.861.7444
Arab Resource and Organizing Center, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.