AROC is hiring for two positions:
REMOVAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY
Position: Full Time Immigration Attorney (Removal/Family-Based)
Salary: $55,000-60,000 Depending on Experience
Benefits: Excellent health benefits, (fiscal sponsor: Tides Center) BAR membership, malpractice insurance
Reports to: Executive Director
The Removal Defense Attorney will be responsible for providing immigration legal services to primarily Arab and Muslim clients through the Arab Resource and Organizing Center (AROC)’s legal services program, San Francisco’s first free or low-cost immigration service for the Arab community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as legal resource to clients and community members;
- Manage caseload;
- Prepare applications and supporting documentation;
- Interview clients and evaluate eligibility for immigration benefits;
- Representation of clients before DHS and in Immigration Court;
- Draft declarations, legal briefs, motions and pleadings;
- Participate in the SFILEN network and corresponding meetings and events;
- Represent poor or low income clients with the following: Removal defense in immigration court, affirmative asylum applications, credible fear interview, withholding and CAT through individual hearing, Bond Hearings, motion practice, cancellation of removal hearings, complex family based adjustment of status, occasional consular processing including for spouses and fiancée, NATZ Cases, waiver cases, occasional appeals and federal court challenges regarding immigration decisions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Minimum of one year experience working as an immigration attorney, with a strong preference for two or more years of experience;
- Member in good standing of any state bar;
- Must have excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Comfortable working without supervision and able to work as part of a team;
- Experience with asylum, deportation defense, family-based petitions, consular processing, adjustment of status, naturalization/citizenship, Temporary Protected Status (TPS), in addition to a broad knowledge of all immigration laws in order to effectively issue spot in consultations;
- Ability to handle a high volume of cases;
- Commitment to working with multi-racial coalitions;
- Commitment to racial and economic justice, and immigrant rights; AROC’s vision, mission, strategies and role in the community;
- Ability to make a two-year commitment.
- Arabic speaking skills preferred but not mandatory.
SALARY AND BENEFITS INFORMATION:
AROC offers its employees an excellent benefits package through our fiscal sponsor, The Tides Center. This includes medical, dental and retirement plan contribution options, generous vacation leave, and sick time.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume, writing sample and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject entitled “Job Application Removal Defense Attorney,” No calls please.
COMMUNITY SELF DEFENSE COORDINATOR
Position: Full Time Community Self-Defense Coordinator
Benefits: Excellent health benefits, (fiscal sponsor: Tides Center) insurance
Reports to: Executive Director
The Community Self-Defense Coordinator will be responsible for developing and coordinating the Community Self-Defense, Know Your Rights and Rapid Response programs of the organization. This position will also provide specific support to AROC’s legal team via interpretation and translation, as needed.
General Duties and Responsibilities
COMMUNITY SELF-DEFENSE PROGRAMMING
- Develops and implements community outreach plans and goals specific to challenging discrimination, surveillance, and targeting of immigrants, Arabs and Muslims.
- Ensures ongoing opportunities for members of the Arab and Muslim community to inform AROC’s work, and regularly connects Arab and Muslim communities to relevant immigration services.
- Conducts regular one-on-ones and supervision with clients and members to gauge needs and experiences.
- Maintains appropriate tracking of individuals and our efforts via organizational database.
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PROGRAM
- Develops relevant, accurate training and outreach materials for distribution, in both Arabic and English.
- Develops and implements culturally responsible KYR trainings.
- Trains new members to facilitate KYR and other topical anti-repression workshops.
- Coordinates the development and semi-annual evaluation of the project’s annual work plan.
- Maintain documentation of workshops, trainings, meetings and outreach activities.
- Participates in staff meetings, retreats and other generative spaces to coordinate with other staff on this program, including providing program updates and opportunities for collaboration.
- Is regularly active, participating and contributing to political education and leadership development spaces.
- Supporting our legal team with translations during our consultation days.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND EXPERTISE:
- Bilingual and biliterate in Arabic / English
- Strong personal organization and communication skills.
- Demonstrable commitment to social, racial and economic justice.
- At least two years of experience in community organizing with communities of color (preferably low-income, immigrant, LGBTQ, or other oppressed communities).
- Knowledge of Arab community history in the US, including conditions and community organizing.
- Familiarity with the City and County of San Francisco and the surrounding region, including – local history, knowledge of various community organizations, political issues and players etc. strongly preferred
- Basic computer skills – e.g. familiarity with Word, Excel and web browsers required and Google Calendar & Google Drive, graphic design programs preferred
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume, and list of references to email@example.com with subject entitled “Job Application Community Self-Defense,” No calls please.
The Arab Resource and Organizing Center is a grassroots organization working to empower and organize our community towards justice and self-determination for all. AROC members build community power in the Bay Area by participating in leadership development, political education, and campaigns. The legal services are a program of AROC. The immigration legal program was started in 2007 in conjunction with the San Francisco Immigrant Legal Education Network (SFILEN), a network of 13 multi-racial organizations working in outreach, organizing, education and legal services to provide comprehensive support to San Francisco’s immigrant communities.
The Arab Resource and Organizing Center, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.