Stop Urban Shield in Oakland!
Week of Education & Action: August 30th-September 5th
Contact us about AROC membership meeting regarding Urban Shield.
WHAT IS URBAN SHIELD?
Urban Shield is the SWAT team training and weapons expo that brings
together local, regional and global police-military units. It will be held in
Oakland September 4-8. And its host? The Marriott Hotel.
(The rally text below would be the more prominently feature text on front)
RALLY & NOISE DEMO
Friday, September 5th
Oakland Marriott – 1001 Broadway
Tuesday, August 26th: NATIONAL CALL-IN DAY
- Call the Oakland Marriott Convention Center Now!
Ask to speak with Lisa Kershner, General Area Manager of Oakland Marriott City Center and Oakland Convention Center. Her direct line: (510)466- 6410
Here is a sample script:
Here is a sample script:
“My name is _____ from _____, _____ and I am appalled that Urban Shield will be taking place at the Oakland Marriott Convention Center this September 4th – 8th. I am asking you to stand on the side of communities that face police militarization every day. Don’t enable the City of Oakland’s weapons expos and SWAT trainings. Please make the Oakland Marriott Convention Center a safe place for all communities. If you do host Urban Shield, I will not use any Marriott facilities until you side with communities over state repression.”
- Sign and spread our petition, share these infographics, and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how the call went. Help us reach our goal of 5,000 signatures this week!
- To support on the ground organizing in Ferguson against police violence and militarization, as well as to sustain those affected by the current police occupation, click here.
The Stop Urban Shield Oakland campaign has 4 central demands:
- The City of Oakland must defund all activities related to Urban Shield, and all city agencies must withdraw their participation in Urban Shield.
- We demand an end to all City collaborations with the Apartheid State of Israel.
- We demand that the City of Oakland invest in community-based programs proven to decrease violence and harm instead of in the increased militarization of its police force and emergency services.
- We call on our communities to continue fighting back and resisting state violence and repression.
Sign the petition & tell Marriott not to host Urban Shield: http://bit.ly/
Sign on to the demands: http://bit.ly/
Visit our page for more info: http://bit.ly/
with questions or for more information.
Arab Resource & Organizing Center (AROC) – Critical Resistance- International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (IJAN) – Alliance of South Asians Taking Action (ASATA) – War Resisters League – Xicana Moratorium Coalition – Bay Area Childcare Collective – Iraq Veterans Against the War SF – Civilian Soldier Alliance SF- Catalyst Project – United Roots – SF 99% Civil Liberties Coalition – Code Pink – Oakland Privacy Working Group – Dignidad Rebelde – Causa Justa :: Just Cause – Iraq Veterans Against the War – National – Anakbayan East Bay – Queers Undermining Israeli Terrorism (QUIT) – All of Us or None – Jewish Voices for Peace – Bay Area – Bay Area Labor Committee for Peace & Justice (LC4PJ) – Restore the Fourth SF – Environmentalists Against War – Media Alliance – Lake Merritt Neighbors Organized for Peace – Labor Council for Latin American Advancement, San Francisco Chapter – Arab Youth Organization – US Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel – Black Alliance for Just Immigration (BAJI) – Freedom Archives – Berkeley Women in Black- Berkeley Copwatch – Workers World Party – Gab – SF – Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) – ANSWER Coalition-Act Now to Stop War & End Racism