In 2008, AROC found Arab Youth Organizing to empower young people and low-income families in the city.
If you want to get involved or have any questions, please email Yusra Oweis ( Yusra @ araborganizing.org), AYO! Program Coordinator
What we’ve done:
- We presented at Annual Bay Area Ethnic Studies Conferences and Teachers for Social Justice Conferences.
- Developed surveys to answer the question: How does racist curriculum and lack of Arab histories and narratives in schools affect how youth perceive Arabs, and what is the impact on the Arab community in the Bay Area? From those surveys, AYO collected over 350 with responses to questions like this, and developed a report on our findings.
- We published our T.U.R.A.T.H. report back from the survey that we have conducted and are currently distributing to key stake holders.
- Conducted workshops at different High Schools in the Bay Area, about war, and racism, and how they affect students living in the diaspora.
- Work in collaboration with other Youth Programs in the Bay Area.
- Led a campaign and won the passage of Arabic language to be taught in SF Unified School District.
- We testified in front of the Board of Supervisors, City Council Members and the Board of Education.
- Held an annual Arab Youth Summer Institute.